How to Use Witch Hazel to Clear Up Your Skin Fast
Today, we have hundreds of different beauty products available to us — washes, toners, scrubs and so on — but what did people use thousands of years ago before commercial chemicals existed to help heal their skin?
When it comes to natural skin care, one timeless medicinal plant is witch hazel. Thanks to its astringent properties, it’s one of the most effective natural acne treatments known to man. So, if you’re looking for cleaner, healthier skin, look no further than witch hazel and its infinite benefits for your skin
What Is Witch Hazel Exactly?
- Witch hazel is a type of plant native to North America,
- a member of the Hamamelidaceae plant family.
Basic qualities of a beneficial skin toning product:
- Effectively helps balance the pH of the skin
- Helps restore your skin’s ideal pH while protecting your skin against impurities
- This Witch hazel toner contains a great deal of tannin. This is a substance that lends powerful cleaning and astringent properties.
How the Witch Hazel Toner Works
- A facial toner should be applied with a cotton ball at the end of a facial cleansing routine
- It serves as an antiseptic and antibacterial agent and closes the pores to protect from environmental dirt and grime
- This helps reduce excess oil production, thereby preventing problems such as acne and blackheads.
While there are alcohol-based skin toners that perform these functions, they have the unfortunate side effect of drying the skin and killing off beneficial skin fauna. This Witch hazel toner is mild, discerning, and safe for sensitive skin.
Benefits of Witch Hazel
- Reduce Acne
- Slows down inflammation, redness and oiliness
- Reduces bacterial growth on the skin and speeds up the time needed to heal infections or scab
- Reduces the look of pores
- Helps stop the development of blackheads and whiteheads, which can contribute to breakouts
- Fight Signs of Aging and Damage from Sun Exposure
- Naturally tightens the skin and promote skin elasticity
- Prevent Ingrown Hairs and Rashes After shaving
- Its antioxidant properties make it an effective treatment for fine lines, wrinkles and age spots
Are There Side Effects to the Witch Hazel Toner?
Most adults and children react well to using this toner. But there’s always a chance for an allergic reaction or other irritations, especially if you have sensitive skin and spend lots of time in the sun.
To be on the safe side, do a skin patch test first, applying a small amount to a patch of skin on your arm or leg to make sure you don’t have a bad reaction.
How else can you use it?
- Apply on the clean skin using your hands or cotton pad, let it dry before moisturizing.
- Instead of opening up a pimple and making the problem worse, put toner directly on the skin wherever you notice a zit forming or where acne tends to break out.